In Broward there are still some areas that have not had power restored, which means that our Xfinity services in these areas will not yet work. For example, we have reports that the Coral Ridge area in Bayview is still without power. This is an area that requires more extensive restoration, including significant tree and debris removal, and poles that are not usable and need to be replaced before our services can be fully restored.
Overall in Broward we are primarily dealing with pocket outages. This means that customers may have power restored but Xfinity services may still not be working.
The reasons for this can include:
- Lack of commercial power to our nearby network, nodes, or amplifiers that provide Comcast services to that local area;
- Downed cables that connect buildings and individual homes to the network. This is a local issue not a network issue that we tackle;
- Physical damage to our local plant; creating a “pocket outage” within an area that has commercial power.
- Power surges that have damaged personal computers, modems and routers; or inside the home
Miami-Dade: Coral Gables and the Coconut Grove areas are still heavily impacted and experiencing power loss. As you know it is an area with huge trees and very thick overgrown vegetation In places where power was restored here, we are working on cable lines and nodes that were essentially fried by electrical fires over FPL lines. It’s a complex and difficult restoration process in this area. In some cases we also have fiber cuts that have been caused by lines coming down, debris removal crews inadvertently cutting our lines, damaged poles, etc.
What to do about damaged equipment and billing Questions:
- We are working with customers on a case-by-case basis and will work with them to suspend their services suspended or request a credit.
- We will we will replace any impaired or lost Comcast equipment at no additional charge.
- We will not charge for an in- home appointment with a technician during recovery efforts.
- During our recovery efforts we have suspended late payment fees and suspended collections activity.
- We have waived trouble call charges, early termination fees, unreturned equipment fees, reactivation fees.