Comcast is actively preparing for Tropical Storm Nicole to support customers and respond as quickly as possible to resolve any impact the storm may have on its network and services.
Preparations include staging emergency generators and fuel trucks as well as bringing in additional technical and network restoration teams that are ready to be deployed following the storm.
Emergency management procedures dictate that electricity must be restored first and Comcast must receive clearance that it is safe for our crews to begin any restoration work. Should customers experience a loss of service due to a power outage, local power must first be restored before Xfinity video, phone or internet services can begin working again.
If the weather becomes severe enough, Comcast may send text alerts to customers with information about service interruptions or with tips for restoring their services. Customers can log in to their accounts online or check their account information and notification preferences in the Xfinity app to make sure their mobile phone numbers are added.
Here are helpful tips for Xfinity customers:
Customers should plug TV’s, modems, and cable boxes into a surge protector to protect them from damage in case of lightning or a power outage or surge.
- If customers have electricity but not Xfinity services, Comcast recommends restarting or resetting devices, including wireless gateways, modems, routers, and cable boxes.
- In some cases, customers may have power back but not their Xfinity services because commercial power has not been restored to our network in that area.
- Customers should always stay clear of downed power and cable lines in the interest of safety.
- Customers can check for service outages at com/support/status.
Tips for Comcast Business customers:
- Download the Comcast Business App and enable Be Anywhere to allow another device to make calls with a business’s Caller ID.
- Enable Call Forwarding so business calls can be received on mobile devices.
- Check that the battery backup is working so Voice Services will still be available during a power outage.
- Make sure Connection Pro services are set up correctly. The automatic wireless backup feature will help devices stay up and running.
Customers should also make sure they have downloaded Comcast’s free mobile apps:
- Xfinity — Get updates on outages and report service interruptions.
- Xfinity Stream— View live TV, get weather updates, and download shows and movies beforehand to watch offline in case of power outages.
- Xfinity WiFi Hotspots— Xfinity Internet customers can access millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots available nationwide.