Expansion makes Comcast’s high-speed Multi-Gig Internet services available locally for the first time
December 14, 2022 — Comcast today announced the multi-million-dollar expansion of its network to Hastings in St. Johns County, which brings the company’s full line-up of high-speed Xfinity Internet services to local customers for the first time.
This latest investment in Hastings follows network expansion projects by Comcast across Florida. Since the beginning of the year, Comcast has already expanded its network to six other new areas in Florida – Cape Coral, Crescent City, Lake Butler, Monticello, the Spring Lake Improvement District in Highlands County and Waldo. Since 2017, the company has invested nearly $20 billion to evolve and grow its national network, added 50,000 new route miles of fiber to it and doubled its network capacity every two and a half years to stay well ahead of demand.
Comcast Xfinity Internet services will now be available in Hastings with speeds ranging from 50 Mbps all the way up to 3 Gbps for residential customers and speeds up to 1 Gbps for businesses. Local customers will have access to Xfinity’s unique features that give them complete control over their in-home WiFi networks, including:
- WiFi Controls – Xfinity xFi’s digital dashboard gives customers total control over their in-home wireless networks with the ability to monitor what devices are connected, set parental controls, pause WiFi access and more.
- Advanced Cybersecurity Protection – Customers can use xFi Advanced Security to protect devices connected to their gateway from malware and other threats.
- xFi Pods – xFi Pods are WiFi extenders that can ensure WiFi coverage is available all across the home, eliminating dead zones.
- Streaming – Xfinity Internet customers can use Xfinity Flex, a 4K streaming device, to stream movies, videos and more from the Xfinity Stream app, Peacock Premium and other popular streaming services like Hulu and Netflix.
Internet Essentials, Comcast’s signature digital equity initiative and the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program, will be offered locally as well. Internet Essentials provides in-home internet access for $9.95 for qualified households, plus multiple options to access online digital literacy and skills training. Qualified households may be eligible to have the cost of their monthly home Internet service paid for through the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) Affordability Connectivity Program (ACP). For more information on Internet Essentials and the ACP, visit www.internetessentials.com or call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376).
“Comcast’s network expansion will have a significant and positive long-term impact on Hastings,” said David Kiernan, Principal Economic Development Analyst for the St. Johns County Department of Economic Development. “High-speed internet access is not only a critical resource for local residents and businesses, but it also supports future economic growth and development for the area.”
“As magnified by the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent shift to online learning and work, Internet access is a necessity in today’s increasingly digital world. You need to get online to search for employment and apply for jobs, to read critical news and information or even access telehealth applications,” said Javier Garcia, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Comcast in Florida. “Comcast is committed to helping bridge the digital divide and connecting more communities to the Internet and its vast resources.”
In addition, the network expansion is bringing Comcast’s line-up of other services, including mobile phone and cable television, to the area. Xfinity’s newest service, Xfinity Mobile, will be available in Hastings for customers who subscribe to Xfinity Internet service. When Xfinity Mobile customers use their phones at home or in range of a Xfinity WiFi hotspot, they don’t have to use cellular data. When WiFi is not available, they’ll be automatically connected to the fastest, most reliable network with 5G included at no extra cost. They have a variety of options to purchase data, starting with one gig per month all the way up to unlimited data.
Local customers will also have the option to subscribe to Comcast’s Xfinity X1 service. X1 allows users to curate their own unique entertainment experiences. They can enjoy live television, DVR and On Demand content and streaming apps all in one place and quickly find what they want to watch using the X1 Voice Remote.
Finally, Xfinity Voice, Comcast’s digital home phone service, will be available in Hastings with features including:
- Unlimited nationwide calling
- Customizable international calling options
- Access to the Xfinity Connect app for unlimited nationwide talk and text on any WiFi-connected device
- Advanced features like Readable Voicemail and Caller ID on the TV
This project is a part of Comcast’s work to bridge the digital divide by bringing broadband Internet service to new and underserved areas. Hastings is the sixth new Florida community where Comcast has invested to expand its advanced, high-speed network to this year. It has also expanded to:
- Cape Coral in Lee County in Southwest Florida
- Crescent City in Putnam County in North Florida
- Lake Butler in Union County in Central Florida
- Monticello in Jefferson County in the Florida Panhandle
- Waldo in Alachua County in Central Florida
For more information on Comcast’s products and services, visit www.xfinity.com or call 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489).