Nassau County and Comcast today announced plans to bring high-speed Internet service to several rural areas of the county, many of them for the first time.
Comcast will expand its network to bring Xfinity Internet service to the unincorporated areas of Becker, Bryceville, Dyal, Evergreen, Gross, Ingle, and Lessie, in Nassau County. The expansions are made possible through the State’s Broadband Infrastructure Program and are part of Comcast’s commitment to bridge the digital divide by bringing broadband Internet service to new and unserved areas in the state.
Comcast will use the $9 million grant it was recently awarded through the Florida Broadband Opportunity Grants Program to expand its network in Nassau County. This competitive reimbursement grant program was created to expand broadband Internet service to unserved areas of the state, helping encourage job creation, capital investment, and the strengthening and diversification of local economies.
“Our Nassau County citizens in unconnected areas risk being left behind. Without access to the Internet, they are missing out on critical and valuable information and resources that can impact their health, careers and daily lives,” said Nassau County Manager Taco Pope. “We are grateful and enthusiastic to be working with Comcast to bring Internet service to new areas, which will now have a long-term positive impact on the quality of life and economic growth potential across Nassau County.”
By expanding the Xfinity 10G Network to new areas and upgrading existing network infrastructure, Comcast will continue to accelerate the nation’s largest and fastest multi-gig deployment across the Florida Region. As a result, customers throughout Comcast’s current service footprint as well as those in new markets, will be able to access the Xfinity 10G Network, which is powering the rapid rise in Internet consumption that is happening today and into the future.
“At Comcast, we take pride in knowing that expanding our Xfinity Internet service to new communities like rural areas in Nassau County means we are also expanding access to resources and opportunities for everyone who lives in those areas,” said Jeff Buzzelli, Senior Vice President of the Comcast Florida Region. “We look forward to working with Nassau County on this critically important project.”
Powered by the Xfinity 10G Network
Comcast’s network and Internet experience are powering homes and businesses today and into the future:
- Ultimate Capacity: Xfinity customers connect nearly 1 billion devices across the company’s network annually. The Xfinity 10G Network with the next-generation Xfinity gateways deliver the most advanced WiFi technology carrying three times more bandwidth to power streaming, gaming, videoconferencing, and more, simultaneously.
- Fastest Internet: More than a third of Xfinity Internet customers subscribe to gigabit speed products, and symmetrical gig speeds are planned to come to the first homes later this year.
- Unprecedented Coverage: The latest Xfinity Gateway provides a more reliable connection throughout the home. Customers can get wall-to-wall WiFi coverage with a powerful Xfinity WiFi Boost Pod that extends coverage to hard-to-reach areas, with plans for an offering of increased support for in-home WiFi through a “boost guarantee” later this year.
- Most Reliable Connection: Comcast is scaling the nation’s largest and most reliable network – the Xfinity 10G Network – that passes 60 million homes and businesses and counting. The company also recently became the first Internet provider to offer a back-up connectivity device designed to keep customers connected during a storm with the launch of Storm-Ready WiFi.
- Ultra-Low Latency: The Xfinity 10G Network and the latest Xfinity Gateway are a powerful combination that deliver ultra-low latency for those moments when response times matter most like video games, a fast-growing category with Xfinity households averaging more than one gaming console per home.
Internet Essentials, Comcast’s signature digital equity initiative and the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program, will also be available in the new areas once construction is completed. Internet Essentials provides in-home Internet access for $9.95 for qualified households, plus multiple options to access online digital literacy and skills training. Qualified households may be eligible to have the cost of their monthly home Internet service paid for through the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) Affordability Connectivity Program (ACP). For more information on Internet Essentials and the ACP, visit www.internetessentials.com or call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376).
For area businesses, Comcast Business offers a suite of connectivity, communications, networking, cybersecurity, wireless, and managed solutions. Powered by the nation’s largest Gig-speed broadband network, and backed by 24/7 customer support, Comcast Business is the nation’s largest cable provider to small and mid-size businesses. For Comcast Business, interested customers should contact Sales Director Glory Faunce at 904-239-2617 or Glory_Faunce@cable.comcast.com.
For more information on Comcast’s products and services, visit www.xfinity.com or call 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489).